This is Principal Rose with your weekly Tuesday update.?
Holmes Family Fun night is this Thursday from 4:30 - 6 P.M. at Holmes Elementary. The Holmes staff has some really fun math activities planned for you all to enjoy. Come on out and beat the cold weather and enjoy some fun with family and your school friends this Thursday. I hope to see you there!
Your child brought home an informational flyer for a Youth and Children’s MLK program being held at the U of M on January 21st, 2019 (MLK day). YCS will not hold school that day, please consider involving your child in an educational program that celebrates and educates them around the work of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.?
Your child also brought home an informational flyer for the Holmes Winter Dance this Friday, December 14th from 4:00 - 6:00 P.M. Everyone is invited, please come out for food, fun and dancing!
Just a reminder?that the Holmes Winter music concert will be held right here at the Holmes Elementary cafeteria on Wednesday, December 19th from 6:30 - 8 P.M. We are so excited about program that Mr. Bowling and our students have planned for our families this season. We hope you are able to come out and support on Wednesday, December 19th at 6:30 P.M.?
Our goal is to meet face-to-face with 100% of our families this Fall. If you missed conferences, a separate phone call will be sent this evening communicating our request to meet to discuss your child’s education.?
5th grade families, we wanted to share the WIMA admissions process with you. The attached document outlines the timeline and process for interested families. Please note that the application is now open online at?www.wihi.org. Please also note that their Open House for prospective families is this Thursday, December 13th at 6pm. They would love to see interested families come join them for information about the school and the application process. Families are encouraged to contact Kelly Cartwright, their business and admissions coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org?with questions about admissions to WIMA.?
We are continuing to collect Box Tops for Education, please send them in with your child as you collect them at home. We thank you for this support, it makes a difference!?
As the holidays approach, students often have a lot more screen time than normal and parents are spending more time online shopping for gifts. We would like to share some cyber safety tips courtesy of the Washtenaw Area Council for Children (WACC). This organization was also provided our 3rd, 4th and 5th grade students with cyber safety training workshops earlier this school year.?
- Do business over secure, private Wi-Fi networks, not public Wi-Fi networks
- Be careful about sharing your location and travel plans on social media
- Be careful clicking on email links - look for https in browsers for website security
- Lock your phone and other devices with strong passwords
- Consider changing accounts passwords before & after traveling
- Talk to your kids about their online presence
- Set clear family rules and expectations
- Discuss with your children what apps are appropriate to download
- Discuss cyberbullying and ways to keep safe online with kids
- Use parental controls and content filters for kids devices
Parents, please mark your calendars with these important dates:
- 12/13- Family Math Night 4:30 - 6 P.M.
- 12/15- MUKD Holmes v Estabrook @ 9 - 11 A.M.
- 12/17- Mr. Bowling Treble Choir rehearsal (2:30 - 4 P.M.)
- 12/18- Lockdown drill/simulation
- 12/19- Holmes Winter music concert @ Holmes Cafeteria (6:30 - 8 P.M.)
- 12/20- Santa plans to visit Holmes
- 12/21- Celebrate December birthdays
- 12/21- Fun Friday
- 12/22-1/6/19- Winter Break
- 1/7/19- School resumes
- 1/10- Food Gatherer’s produce distribution
- 1/11- Tornado drill (9:30 A.M.)
- 1/14-2/8- NWEA Winter testing window
- 1/18- Fun Friday
- 1/19- MUKD Holmes v YIES @ 9 - 11 A.M.
- 1/21- No School (MLK)
- 1/22- 4th grade field trip to the Riverside Arts Center
- 1/25- Grizzly Gathering (Choices)
- 1/26- MUKD Holmes v Erickson @ 9 - 11 A.M.
- 2/1- Fun Friday
You will find the calendar for the 2018-19 school year attached. Thanks for your support of Holmes Elementary and go Grizzlies!